The John Marshall Law School (J.D., 2011), magna cum laude
University of South Carolina (B.S., 2006), magna cum laude
David advises employers of all sizes on labor and employment law matters, assesses litigation risks, resolves disputes, and finds solutions for day-to-day employment and traditional labor issues. Clients turn to David for pragmatic, strategic advice that takes into account legal risk and their ultimate business objectives.
He defends employers before state and federal courts nationwide in single-plaintiff and class and collective action litigation involving trade secrets, restrictive covenants, breach of contract, wage and hour violations, discrimination, harassment and retaliation. He also represents employers before federal and state agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Human Rights Commission and the Illinois Department of Labor.
David counsels employers on labor and employment matters to keep their businesses on track and running smoothly, including hiring, discipline and discharge, harassment, discrimination, leaves and accommodation requests, background checks and wage and hour issues. He proactively prepares and reviews employment agreements, restrictive covenant agreements, employee handbooks, personnel policies and separation agreements. He trains managers and employees on a wide variety of employment topics and related best practices.
Committed to serving the Chicago community, David has served on the Associate Board for CARPLS, Cook County’s largest provider of free legal services to low- and moderate-income residents. He has also volunteered with the Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago’s Lawyers in the Classroom Program, to help students understand the legal system.
Employment Litigation Experience:
- Defended and negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of food producer in collective action litigation alleging miscalculation of employees’ regular rate of pay for overtime purposes.
- Prosecuted and obtained workplace protection restraining order under the Illinois Workplace Violence Prevention Act against an individual who made threats of violence against a major theatre venue and its employees.
- Defended and negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of nursing and rehabilitation facility in collective action litigation alleging unpaid meal periods and overtime pay.
- Defeated motion to dismiss in litigation on behalf of global search and consulting firm seeking to claw back bonus payments made to former executive, and subsequently negotiated favorable settlement.
- Secured dismissal of lawsuit brought by former executive seeking to invalidate restrictive covenant agreement.
- Prosecuted non-compete and trade secret claims for multinational food producer and obtained injunction prohibiting former employee from working for a competitor, and negotiated favorable settlement following expiration of the injunction.
- Defended and negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of national assisted living provider in litigation brought by state department of labor alleging retaliation against former employee who reported workplace safety concerns.
- Secured summary judgment for an insurance sales and technology company in an FMLA retaliation lawsuit.
- Defended national fitness club and negotiated favorable settlement of retaliation and tort claims brought by former manager who allegedly was sexually assaulted by a co-worker.
- Defended and negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of in-home care provider in collective action litigation alleging unpaid rest periods and overtime pay.
- Secured dismissal of disability discrimination and retaliation claims brought against a national fitness club chain, following agency trial before an administrative law judge.
- Prosecuted and obtained favorable settlement for multinational food producer and supplier in non-compete and trade secrets dispute.
- Secured summary judgment for a long-term care consulting company in a multi-plaintiff age discrimination lawsuit.
- Secured summary judgment for a national housewares and furniture retailer in an age and sex discrimination lawsuit.
- Prosecuted and obtained favorable settlement for national health insurance technology provider in non-compete and trade secrets dispute.
- Secured dismissal and negotiated favorable settlements of dozens of administrative charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Illinois Department of Human Rights, and other state agencies across the country.
Employment Counseling Experience:
- Advise employers regarding employee recruitment, background checks, hiring, discipline, leaves, accommodations, wage and hour compliance and discharge.
- Conduct employment-related trainings, including prevention of workplace discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
- Review and update employee handbooks and individual personnel policies, including to ensure compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Draft and negotiate employment agreements and separation agreements.
- Conduct internal investigations into employee complaints regarding alleged harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and various other types of unlawful or inappropriate conduct.
- Advise employers in investigating and responding to attorney demand letters on behalf of current and former employees.
- Conduct diligence and advise prospective sellers and purchasers in connection with corporate acquisitions.
Traditional Labor Experience:
- Represent and defend employers in arbitration proceedings involving union grievances over employee discharge, employee discipline, and alleged violations of collective bargaining agreements.
- Serve as chief company spokesperson in collective bargaining with the union, draft company proposals, and advise on negotiations strategy.
- Represent and advise employers in connection with union organizing campaigns, representation petitions, and election proceedings.
- Represent and defend employers in unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Advise employers regarding administration of collective bargaining agreements and day-to-day labor relations issues.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit