David advises employers on labor and employment law matters, assessing litigation risks, resolving disputes, and finding solutions for day-to-day employment and traditional labor issues.
He defends employers before state and federal courts nationwide in litigation involving trade secrets, restrictive covenants, breach of contract, discrimination, harassment and retaliation. He also represents clients before federal and state agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Human Rights Commission and the Illinois Department of Labor.
David counsels employers on labor and employment matters to keep their businesses on track and running smoothly, including hiring, discipline and discharge, harassment, discrimination, leaves and accommodation requests, background checks and wage and hour issues. He proactively prepares and reviews employment agreements, restrictive covenant agreements, employee handbooks, personnel policies and separation agreements.
Committed to serving the Chicago community, David serves on the Associate Board for CARPLS, Cook County’s largest provider of free legal services to low- and moderate-income residents. He also volunteers with the Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago’s Lawyers in the Classroom Program, to help students understand the legal system.
- Prosecuted non-compete and trade secret claims for multinational food producer and obtained injunction prohibiting former employee from working for a competitor, and negotiated favorable settlement following expiration of the injunction.
- Secured summary judgment for an insurance sales and technology company in an FMLA retaliation lawsuit.
- Secured dismissal of disability discrimination and retaliation claims brought against a national fitness club chain, following agency trial before an administrative law judge.
- Prosecuted and obtained favorable settlement for multinational food producer and supplier in non-compete and trade secrets dispute.
- Secured summary judgment for a long-term care consulting company in a multiplaintiff age discrimination lawsuit.
- Secured summary judgment for a national housewares and furniture retailer in an age and sex discrimination lawsuit.
- Prosecuted and obtained favorable settlement for national health insurance technology provider in non-compete and trade secrets dispute.
- Secured dismissal and negotiated favorable settlements of dozens of administrative charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Illinois Department of Human Rights, and other state agencies across the country.
- Secured dismissal of employee and union grievances over employee discipline, discharges and alleged violations of collective bargaining agreements.
Employment Counseling Experience:
- Conduct internal investigations into employee complaints regarding alleged harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and various other types of unlawful or inappropriate conduct.
- Advise employers regarding employee recruitment, background checks, hiring, discipline, leaves, accommodations, wage and hour compliance and discharge.
- Conduct employment-related trainings, including prevention of workplace discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
- Review and update employee handbooks and individual personnel policies, including to ensure compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws.
- Draft and negotiate employment agreements and separation agreements.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit