Chad develops comprehensive employment litigation and policy strategies for diverse corporations and non-profit organizations, including Fortune 50 companies, food producers, accounting firms, transportation and logistics companies, pension and health benefits administrators, home furnishing manufacturers, theme parks, real estate developers, property managers and energy companies.
He has substantial nationwide experience litigating a wide array of employment matters before federal and state courts and administrative agencies, including breach of non-competition agreements, trade secret misappropriation, employment discrimination and retaliation under all relevant federal and state employment-related statutes, wage and hour disputes and breach of a variety of commercial and employment contracts. He also advises clients on a daily basis concerning avoiding and resolving a variety of employee relations issues.
Chad regularly negotiates and prepares non-competition agreements covering sophisticated confidential information and develops strategies for enforcing these agreements against departing employees and franchisees. He also creates tailored risk management strategies and procedures for the proper execution of lawful “lift-outs” of competitors’ employees to improve human capital while avoiding costly litigation.
Clients appreciate that Chad stays ahead of changes to the landscape of non-competition law. He has developed a reputation with clients for vigorously protecting their interests. He is skilled at using his knowledge of his clients’ behind-the-scenes business considerations to tailor cost-efficient strategies to meet their litigation objectives.
Non-Competition/Trade Secrets Litigation:
- Represented international chemicals manufacturer in federal court litigation initiated by a competitor alleging that our client hired an employee in violation of his non-competition agreement and that the employee shared stolen trade secrets with our client.
- Filed suit in state court against four former employees of a manufacturer of credit card processing equipment. The former employees started a competing business and solicited the company’s customers in breach of their legal obligations to the company.
- Represented an international manufacturer of photocopying and printing equipment, as well as its top salesman, in federal court litigation brought by one of the client’s chief competitors who alleged that the salesman breached the terms of his non-competition agreement and misappropriated its trade secrets by working for our corporate client.
- Represented a theme park operator in litigation alleging that a former executive violated his non-competition obligations by accepting employment with a competitor.
- Defended a manufacturer of beauty product ingredients in state court litigation in which the competitor alleged that our client hired one of its top salespeople in violation of his contractual obligations and misappropriated its trade secrets and confidential information.
- Brought suit in state court on behalf of manufacturer of traffic materials against a former employee who had started a similar business and was unfairly competing against the company.
- Represented an insurance brokerage company in a federal court lawsuit we filed against a former employee who solicited the company’s clients and disclosed the company’s confidential information in breach of his employment agreement and in violation of his other legal obligations to the company.
- Filed suit in state court on behalf of a web page designer against three former employees who left the company to start their own competing business. The former employees solicited the company’s clients and made false representations in the marketplace about the company’s business practices.
- Represented a salon and day spa in a state court lawsuit we filed against two former stylists who left the salon to join a competing salon just one mile away and who poached the salon’s clients and took with them confidential client-related information.
- Represented a corporate hospitality company in a series of state court non-competition cases involving the company’s chief competitor. The two companies sued and counter-sued each other alleging that each company had a practice of stealing the other company’s employees and confidential information and otherwise engaged in unfair competition.
- Filed suit in state court on behalf of a trucking logistics company, alleging that a former employee breached the terms of his non-competition agreement by joining a competitor, misappropriating the client’s trade secrets and confidential information, and soliciting the client’s customers and employees.
- Represented the founder and owner of a life insurance benefits company in federal court litigation who left his former employer to start his own competing business. Our client’s former employer frivolously alleged that our client breached his employment contract by forming his own company and that he unlawfully solicited its clients, resulting in the court imposing monetary sanctions against the former employer.
- Represented an international financial services company and one of its top money managers in a federal court lawsuit brought by a competitor, alleging that the money manager accepted employment with our client in violation of his non-competition agreement and that he stole confidential information.
- Defended an executive of a legal recruiting firm in state court litigation in which the executive’s former employer alleged that the executive breached the terms of his employment contract by accepting employment with a competitor and servicing his former accounts.
- Represented the founder and owner of a company specializing in refurbishing and reselling computer equipment. Our client’s former employer filed suit in federal court, alleging that our client stole top secret corporate information and used that information to solicit the company’s customers.
- Filed suit in state court on behalf of an international manufacturer of metal coatings against three former employees alleging that the employees violated their non-competition agreements by joining a competitor, soliciting our client’s customers, and accepting jobs in the industry that would lead to the disclosure of our client’s trade secrets and confidential information.
Employment Discrimination Litigation:
- Represented a large law firm in a lawsuit filed by a then-current employee, who alleged that she was denied a promotion because of her race.
- Represented a self-storage company in race discrimination and sexual harassment litigation filed by a former employee.
- Represented a trucking company in a national origin discrimination case filed by a former employee.
- Represented an international accounting firm in federal and state court litigation against claims of race, national origin and gender discrimination brought by former employees.
- Defended an international non-for-profit pension and health benefits organization against claims of disability discrimination and retaliation filed by a former employee.
- Represented a telemarketing company in a case filed by three former employees alleging sexual harassment and retaliation.
- Represented a large hospital in a case brought by a former employee who alleged that the hospital discriminated against him because of his military service.
- Defended against claims of sexual harassment and retaliation brought against a national food processor by a former sales representative.
- Represented a regional hospital in litigation brought by a former employee alleging that the hospital terminated her employment because of her alleged disability.
- Represented a large restaurant in a case filed by four former employees alleging sexual harassment and retaliation.
- Represented a manufacturer of textiles against claims of sexual harassment asserted by a then-current employee.
- Represented an international chemicals manufacturer in a discrimination case brought by a then-current employee alleging that she was denied a promotion and terminated because of her race.
- Defended a manufacturer of beauty product ingredients in a case brought by ten former employees alleging that a voluntary termination program offered by the company was discriminatory on the basis of employees’ ages.
- Represented a janitorial services company in cases brought by former employees alleging race and national origin discrimination.
- Represented an aircraft maintenance company in a case filed by a former employee alleging age discrimination.
- Represented a manufacturer of computer connectors in litigation filed by a then-current employee alleging that our client discriminated against the employee on the basis of his race and religion.
- Represented nursing homes in state court litigation in which former employees alleged that our clients fired them for whistle blowing activities.
Breach of Employment Contract/Other Litigation:
- Represented a national real estate developer in federal court litigation filed by a former employee who alleged that our client breached the terms of his employment agreement by misrepresenting the terms of his employment thereby inducing him to accept employment with the company under false pretenses.
- Defended an automotive components manufacturer in a state court case filed by a former sales representative claiming unpaid commissions and wages.
- Represented an international telecommunications company in a state court lawsuit filed by a former employee alleging that he was entitled to a multimillion dollar bonus.
- Filed suit in state court on behalf of an international not-for-profit organization, alleging that a former employee fraudulently obtained disability benefits from the company.
- Represented an international manufacturer of metal coatings in state court litigation filed by a former employee who claimed that he was entitled to severance pay and a six figure bonus.
- Served as local counsel for a national provider of school bus services in a federal court case filed by current and former bus drivers alleging that the company failed to pay overtime wages.
- Represented a manufacturer of decorative paving stones in a state court class action lawsuit filed by hundreds of current and former employees in which the plaintiffs alleged that our client failed to pay them overtime wages.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois