The firm’s real estate tax group challenges assessments and pinpoints other tax-savings opportunities for more than 10,000 tax parcels throughout the United States.
Attuned to constant fluctuations in property values and legal developments, we monitor and review local assessors’ records for all properties managed by our real estate tax group. We offer comprehensive experience reviewing and evaluating assessments, identifying discrepancies and informing clients of their appeal rights.
We evaluate property assessments from every angle and use this in-depth perspective to counsel and represent clients through every step of the appeals process.
Tax Rate Litigation
Our property tax litigators focus exclusively on state and local property tax matters nationwide. We are recognized leaders in Cook County, IL and the Chicago metropolitan area, where we have taken precedent-setting assessment appeals to the Illinois Supreme Court. We serve as lead counsel to the taxpayers of Cook County in annually filed court actions challenging the legality of property tax levies, resulting in the refund of millions of dollars to local property owners.
- Securing a tax refund and savings of more than $1.46 million for a client in connection with a retirement community in San Diego. The multiyear tax settlement resulted in $945,000 in refunds for the client and a tax savings of $521,852 in the current tax year.
- Obtaining reduction in assessment for a Fortune 500 Headquarters facility resulting in an annual tax savings of approximately $7 million.
- Securing court ordered tax refunds in excess of $8 million for a single client (one of the largest single tax recoveries in Cook County history) arising from the illegal assessment classification of the client’s real estate.
- Securing a court ordered tax refund in excess of $1.4 million for a major air transportation carrier concerning property tax assessments extended against the client’s leasehold interests.
- Representation of City of Chicago taxpayers as “lead counsel” in lawsuit contesting the legality of City property tax levies. The litigation resulted in a bench trial verdict directing property tax refunds to City taxpayers in excess of $40,000,000.
Obtaining the first bench trial verdict in Cook County in favor of a Fortune 500 company, in which the court found the assessment extended against its headquarters to be clearly and convincingly incorrect. The court’s verdict resulted in a tax refund order exceeding $1 million.
- Representation of largest U.S. waste hauler in appeal of assessment extended against one of the largest landfill operations in the State of California resulting in tax refunds and savings exceeding $1.5 million.
- Securing a Class L landmark assessment classification for a historical preservation developer’s Chicago property that will result in estimated tax savings exceeding $3 million.
- Secured $530,000 refund for a full service San Francisco hotel.
- Secured a $2.2 million refund for a South Florida retirement community.