As real estate companies work to develop more efficient, cost-effective operations, many have come to recognize the need to select legal counsel experienced in commercial leasing matters. To gain a competitive edge, companies seek counsel with significant resources, efficient processes and experienced professionals to strike the right balance between advancing business strategies and proactively managing risk. By combining our business acumen and our extensive knowledge of leasing, we offer our clients a practical, balanced approach to allocating risk and negotiating leases.
Our commercial leasing attorneys collaborate with the rest of our real estate team to meet extraordinarily complex leasing challenges. Our team has drafted and negotiated millions of square feet of office, retail and industrial space. We represent a national client base of owners, renters, private investors and publicly traded real estate companies in every phase of leasing, which gives our clients control over their operating costs as their portfolios expand.
- Regularly represent a national REIT as the landlord in various retail leases and related transactions across the country, including the following: drafted and negotiated many of the leases in connection with the redevelopment of Queens Center in Elmhurst, New York; drafted and negotiated major “big box” leases (containing 20,000 square feet or more of retail space), major restaurant leases and other retail leases with national retailers in various shopping centers and strip centers around the country, including Scottsdale Fashion Square in Scottsdale, Arizona, Santa Monica Place in Los Angeles, California, The Oaks in Thousand Oaks, California, SanTan Village in Gilbert, Arizona, ShoppingTown Mall in Syracuse, New York, Tysons Corner in McLean, Virginia, Twenty-Ninth Street in Boulder, Colorado, and others.
- Regularly represent a national, big box retailer as the tenant in the preparation and negotiation of multiple leases and related documents such as Memorandum of Leases and Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements for space in regional shopping centers across the country, including Atlanta, Georgia, Plano, Texas, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania and White Plains, New York. Most of the leases involve the construction of a new, approximately 35,000 square foot retail building. Most leases were each for a term of approximately 20 to 25 years, including options and with rents for each term ranging from $5 to $15 million.
- Representation of a national fitness club chain as the tenant in various leases and related documents such as Memorandum of Leases and Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements for space in shopping centers and mixed use properties across the country, including Atlanta, Georgia, Bethesda, Maryland and Los Angeles, California. Most of the leases involved the construction of a new, multi-story, mixed-use building containing approximately 30,000 square feet of space. Most of the leases were for terms of approximately 15 to 20 years, including options and with rents for each term ranging from $10 to $25 million.
- Regularly represent a national residential REIT as the landlord in office and retail leases in various mixed use properties throughout the United States, including Boston, Massachusetts, New York, New York and Seattle, Washington.
- We represented a company in the merger of several 401(k) plans that had been assumed through various acquisitions. Through early involvement in this process, our attorneys were able to present options and actions that minimized the disruptions—and subsequent claims—that often arise from such mergers.
- We represent several investment funds seeking capital from benefit plans. We advise on how these funds should be structured to minimize the potential of fiduciary liability arising from investments by benefit plans.
- We assisted the president of a large food company in renegotiating significant compensation and equity ownership increases following the completion of his first year of employment.