Doug is chair of the firm’s Real Estate practice group. He manages complex real estate and financing transactions concerning properties throughout the country for a diverse group of clients, including developers, publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITS), private real estate investment funds, joint ventures, financial institutions and insurance companies. Doug handles transactions involving multifamily apartment projects, office buildings, shopping centers, industrial sites, hotels, military bases and other government facilities, and mixed-use projects.
He also develops and implements ongoing transaction strategies for the acquisition, sale, management and leasing of his client’s real estate portfolios. He has extensive experience handling transactions at different levels of sophistication – from transactions involving single assets to multistate portfolio transactions involving dozens of properties. Doug excels at assembling the perfect team to coordinate the numerous parties and components necessary to close the deal in the most efficient manner without sacrificing the quality of the work or advice given to the client.
Doug’s clients value his practical dealmaker approach to real estate transactions and ability to evaluate and understand the many business considerations and details that are often missed in complex real estate transactions. His background in accounting enables him to master the financial considerations of every transaction and provide valuable counsel on not only legal matters but also economic issues.
- Represented Equity Residential in connection with the sale of 72 multifamily properties to Starwood Capital for approximately $5 billion.
- Represented private fund in the creation of a joint venture for the acquisition of the largest suburban office complex in Minnesota, including negotiation of loan documents, property management and leasing agreement.
- Represented publicly traded real estate investment trust in the sale of 27 apartment projects in six states for $1.5 billion.
- Represented publicly traded real estate investment trust in the sale of a mixed use development in New York City for approximately $416 million.
- Represented private owner/developer in deed in lieu of a regional shopping mall in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented publicly traded real estate investment trust in the purchase of a development site in San Francisco, California.
- Represented private fund in the purchase of a parking garage in Chicago, Illinois, pursuant to a bankruptcy court auction.
- Represented real estate investment trust in the creation of a joint venture for the acquisition of “fractured condominium” projects in suburban Washington, D.C.
- Represented private real estate investment trust in acquisition of various development parcels for student housing, refinancing of existing student housing assets with HUD financing and sales of existing student housing assets, including assignment and assumption of HUD loans.
- Represented publicly traded real estate investment trust in assemblage of properties for development of a project in Seattle, Washington.
- Represented private investor in purchase/financing of a restaurant in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented private fund in formation of joint venture to acquire portfolio of self storage facilities located throughout the Southeast U.S.