We offer an individualized, sophisticated take on forming and reviewing funds. We represent funds, fund managers, sponsors and investors across a broad spectrum of finance growth vehicles including hedge funds, private equity and venture funds, and funds of funds. Our hands-on representation of fund managers and investors gives us in-depth insights our clients value into the trends affecting the structuring and terms of such funds and related transactional matters. Our Corporate & Securities practice is ranked in Chambers and has a domestic and international scope.
Private Investment Funds
Our private investment fund attorneys advise funds and fund managers on the structure and organization of investment fund vehicles, including U.S. limited partnerships, limited liability companies and offshore funds. The suite of funds we advise on is multifaceted, including buyout funds, venture funds, funds of funds, and mezzanine funds. Our comprehensive knowledge of private investment fund options allows sophisticated investors to finance growth and assess risk to manage complex investment portfolios.
Fund Investors & Service Providers
We represent leading institutional investors, high-net worth individuals and family offices and businesses in the full range of private investment fund investments. Our counsel extends throughout the life cycle of the investment, including fund terms, due diligence, market terms and conditions, and solutions negotiated in fund documents, individually managed accounts and side letters.
We combine financial acumen with cross-practice experience in ERISA, pension fund and tax issues and first-hand knowledge of the SEC and other regulatory bodies, encompassing securities and privacy regulations including Sarbanes-Oxley and Patriot Act compliance.
- Long/short equity funds, including a long/short equity fund affiliated with a registered investment advisor with over $1 billion under management
- A registered investment advisor in the formation of a fund of funds
- The formation of multiple funds with a multi-strategy focus
- The formation of multiple funds with a distressed debt focus
- The formation of multiple master-feeder and parallel funds
- The formation of multiple fund-of-funds
- A fund investing in private and public securities, generally outside of the U.S., in connection with its formation
- A fund investing in loans secured by real estate assets in connection with its formation
- A fund investing in venture capital transactions
- A fund focused on investments in the energy industry in connection with its formation
- A registered investment advisor in connection with a $70 million managed account with a multi-billion dollar fund of funds
- The sponsor of a start-up fund in the formation of the fund and the negotiation with the key individuals who will manage the fund
- A fund investing in futures and the related registration of the investment manager as a CPO in connection with its formation and acquisition of trading models
- A fund that invests in life insurance policies in connection with its formation
- A fund that invests in premium finance of life insurance policies
- A multi-strategy, multi-billion dollar fund in its sourcing/seed arrangements with multiple third parties
- The formation of a pledge fund that invests in private equity opportunities
- Representation of multiple funds and their general partners in connection with their seeding arrangements with institutional investors
- The formation of a pledge fund that invests in a single operating business
- A fund that invests in Forex contracts in connection with its formation
- A fund that invests in charged-off consumer debt in connection with its formation
- Funds that invest in restricted securities in the formation of master-feeder funds based in the Cayman Islands
- Hedge funds in connection with their PIPE investments and the purchase and sale of restricted securities
- Investment managers registering as Registered Investment Advisors with the SEC
- Representation of limited partners in connection with their investments in private equity funds, hedge funds, venture capital funds and real estate funds
- Representation of limited partners and general partners in connection with the purchase and sale of partnership interests
- Representation of the sponsor of a fund that utilizes life insurance whose proceeds are invested in hedge funds