Tanvi is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property & Technology Transactions practice group and is also a registered patent attorney. She has experience in a number of technological areas and in all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent and trademark litigation, patent prosecution, and client counseling related to non-infringement and patent enforcement. In addition, her litigation experience includes pre-suit investigation and assessment, all aspects of patent discovery and claim construction proceedings, motion practice, pursuing and defending against preliminary injunctions, and preparation and participation in a jury trial. Her transactional experience includes managing patent portfolios, advising client on strategic patent procurement, licensing negotiations, and non-infringement and invalidity assessments.
Prior to practicing law, Tanvi worked at Caterpillar, Inc. in the Electric Power Generation group. There, she worked with several engineering groups resolving customer driven technical engine inquiries, researching and implementing emissions reduction solutions, creating and implementing product training for sales teams and drafting technical product literature.
Tanvi’s education in electrical engineering and her technical background enable her to better understand her clients' complex technologies and protect their innovations.
She is co-chair of NGE's Diversity & Inclusion Committee. She also serves on the firm's Summer Associate Hiring Committee and the Women's Network.
Tanvi is a member of Ms. JD, an organization dedicated to the success of aspiring and early-career women lawyers. From 2019 to 2022, Tanvi served on the volunteer board of directors where she worked on the programs and governance committees. She has also participated in multiple national programs offering resources, mentorship and networking to women in all stages on the path to practicing law.
- Obtained a finding of willful infringement in a jury trial enforcing a patent covering high voltage X-ray transformers after successfully challenging an initial unfavorable summary judgment ruling before the Federal Circuit with trial team (W.D.N.C., 2016)
- Obtained a Preliminary Injunction in a trade dress dispute with trial team (D.N.J. 2016)
- Overturned the denial of a Preliminary Injunction in a trade dress dispute with trial team (9 Cir. Court of Appeals 2017)
- Successfully defended against a Preliminary Injunction in a patent infringement dispute (N.D.Ill. 2018)
- Represented Patent Owners and Petitioners in Inter Partes Review and Covered Business Method Review before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Successfully obtained a dismissal of a trademark dispute (D.S.C. 2019)
- Defending a client in a multi-jurisdictional patent and trade secret dispute involving beamforming microphone array technology (N.D. Ill., D. Del., PTAB, 2017 to present)
- Managing and enforcing a global patent portfolio covering mechanical and electrical products
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications on mechanical, electrical and e-commerce-based inventions
- Drafted freedom-to-operate and patentability opinions for electrical, mechanical, medical device and ecommerce-based inventions
- Conducted due diligence investigations for mechanical, biotechnology, medical device, and e-commerce based inventions
- "Notable Women in Law,” Crain’s Chicago Business, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, recommended in “Intellectual Property Law,” "Litigation – Patent" and "Patent Law" since 2023
- "Notable Rising Stars in Law," Crain's Chicago Business, 2021
- “40 Under Forty Illinois Attorneys to Watch,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2021
- “Rising Star,” Illinois Super Lawyers, 2020
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit