Paul is counsel in the Litigation & Disputes practice group. He concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation and insurance recovery for policyholders. Paul has obtained multimillion-dollar recoveries on behalf of clients under a variety of insurance policies, including general liability, first-party property, professional liability, and directors & officers insurance.
Paul is ranked in Chambers USA in the field of Insurance: Dispute Resolution and is a member of the American College of Coverage Counsel. He has represented companies from numerous industry sectors, including public utilities, oil, financial, transportation, retail and industrial manufacturing, and his clients have ranged in size from Fortune 100 corporations to single-owner businesses. He has also counseled clients with respect to their insurance policy coverage and handled litigation involving environmental liability, toxic torts and commercial disputes. Clients appreciate that he customizes his approach to meet their needs, always being mindful of cost sensitivities and time considerations. Paul also has represented clients in pro bono matters such as immigration asylum cases and wrongful conviction claims.
- Represents international quick service food retailer in lawsuit seeking coverage for claims by restaurant workers alleging retailer and its franchisees did not take adequate precautions to prevent and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 at restaurants; court ruled franchisees’ insurer had duty to defend retailer and franchisees in case that presented a matter of first impression in the jurisdiction.
- Represents international luxury hotel management company regarding coverage for business interruption losses caused by global pandemic, the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 virus on hotel properties, and associated government orders.
- Represents and counsels clients in a wide variety of industries regarding coverage for lawsuits filed under the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act by employees and others.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, recommended in “Insurance: Dispute Resolution” since 2022
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2007–2017 as a leading lawyer in Insurance Recovery.
- The Best Lawyers in America, recommended in “Insurance Law” since 2023
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Fellow, American College of Coverage Counsel (ACCC)
- Co-chair, Property Insurance Law Subcommittee of ABA Insurance Coverage Committee