Kevin is a trial lawyer who is keenly adept at turning highly complex legal and technological problems into straightforward issues that can be readily understood by judges and juries. For more than twenty years, Kevin has been applying this skill to win high-exposure intellectual property and commercial disputes throughout the country.
He serves as lead trial counsel in intellectual property cases involving patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. He has successfully represented clients of all sizes, in a broad variety of industries, and in cases involving a myriad of technologies. Kevin has particular experience in patent litigation, where he represents both plaintiffs and defendants in cases across the country and before the International Trade Commission.
Kevin also has a well-earned reputation for litigating complex commercial cases. This portion of his practice focuses on breach of contract disputes involving licensing and other technology-related issues.
Before joining the firm, Kevin spent 15 years litigating complex cases at one of the world’s largest firms. Kevin now leverages the experience and skills he gained during that time to offer the same highly sophisticated level of representation from a far more cost-effective and client-friendly platform.
Energizer Brands, LLC. v. Duracell U.S. Operations, Inc. (E.D. Mo.) – Obtained complete victory on summary judgment for Duracell in trademark infringement matter.
LimeCoral, Inc. v. CareerBuilder, LLC (N.D. Ill.) – Obtained complete victory on summary judgment and awarded attorneys’ fees for CareerBuilder in copyright infringement matter.
In re Certain Products Containing Sintered Rare Earth Magnets, 337-TA-855 – Three days before trial, forced the complainant to withdraw all infringement allegations against our client, Beats Electronics, in an investigation involving sintered rare earth magnets.
PPS Data, LLC v. The SSI Group, Inc., (D. Utah) – Forced a favorable settlement for our client on the eve of the Markman hearing in a case involving health care billing software.
In re Products Having Laminated Packaging, Laminated Packaging, and Components Thereof, 337-TA-874 – Obtained a final determination of no domestic industry in favor of our client, Beats Electronics, in an investigation involving laminated packaging composites.
Flava Works, Inc. v. Gunter (7th Cir.) – Argued and won appeal on groundbreaking legal issue concerning the application of copyright law to Internet linking.
edo Interactive v. TuitionFund, LLC – Filed Covered Business Method Review petitions against three patents relating to consumer funded rewards software.
Van Blarcom Closures, Inc. v. Owens-Illinois, Inc. (U.S. Dist. Court, E.D. N.Y.) – Represented Owens-Illinois in a case involving child resistant closure technology. After seven years of litigation, achieved a complete victory by obtaining a favorable claim construction ruling and summary judgment of non-infringement.
CareerBuilder, LLC v. Stirling Sports Group, Inc., et al. (AAA Arb.) – Won breach of contract arbitration requiring piercing the corporate veil.
Codman & Shurtleff, Inc. v. Integra LifeSciences Corp. (D.N.J.) – Successfully represented patentee in patent infringement lawsuit regarding dural graft products used in brain surgery.
Caterpillar Inc. v. International Truck & Engine Corp. (D. S.C.; Peoria County, IL) – Leveraged favorable global settlement in simultaneous patent infringement and trade secret lawsuits regarding diesel fuel system technology.
Ware et al. v. Costco Wholesale Corporation et al. (U.S. Dist. Court, N.D. Ga.) – Represented Costco in a case involving credit card processing systems. After several years of litigation, obtained voluntary dismissal with prejudice based on favorable claim construction ruling.
- The Legal 500 United States, recommended in “Trademarks: Litigation” 2019-present
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit