Andrew is a trial and appellate lawyer in the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. With broad experience and a comprehensive understanding of all phases of the commercial litigation process, Andrew is able to deliver dynamic solutions to complex legal problems.
Andrew’s practice is national in scope and encompasses a wide array of litigation matters, including breach of contract claims, business torts, defamation, insurance coverage, fraud, antitrust, class action defense, partnership and shareholder disputes, trade secrets, products liability, real estate disputes, and aviation claims. Andrew also serves as a counselor and trusted adviser to clients, providing day-to-day advice, often with the support of the firm’s other practice groups, on a variety of legal matters.
The clients Andrew represents range from publicly traded companies to startups. Regardless of the type of case or the type of client, Andrew stands ready to develop creative and aggressive strategies to achieve the best possible outcome – whether that is prevailing on the merits or settling on favorable terms.
Andrew’s experience in court is both extensive and wide ranging. Andrew has been a member of several successful trial and arbitration teams, has argued and won appeals, and has a strong track record of dismissing claims at the early stages of litigation. Andrew has been named a “Rising Star” by Illinois Super Lawyers every year since 2014.
Andrew is firmly committed to pro bono work and is a member of the firm’s pro bono committee. In 2013, Andrew received the firm’s Pro Bono Excellence in Service Award by nomination of his peers. In recognition of his pro bono achievements, Andrew was selected to serve as a member of the Certificates of Rehabilitation Subcommittee for the Illinois Supreme Court’s Access to Justice Commission in 2016.
- Currently defending publicly traded mining company in federal securities class action alleging failure to disclose facts surrounding suspension of mining license.
- Obtained complete defense verdict in three-day arbitration on behalf of European executive accused of breaching joint enterprise agreement in connection with stock sale.
- Secured dismissal of defamation claims by retired judge against newspaper.
- Prevailed in arbitration seeking declaratory relief regarding the cost of removing client’s medical records from vendor’s storage facility and obtained recovery of attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained favorable settlement in prosecution of fraud claims against builder for falsifying invoices for labor and materials.
- Represented staffing services company in prosecuting claims for breach of non-compete against former executive.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of aircraft owner in dispute over title to a World War II-era fighter plane. Greenhill v. Vartanian, No. 15-cv-09585, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 186706 (N.D. Ill. Nov. 13, 2017).
- Successfully argued appeal before the Illinois Appellate Court and obtained ruling in favor of insured precluding insurer from attempting to terminate its defense and indemnity obligations for mass tort case involving damage to frozen sperm samples. Sentry Ins. v. Continental Cas. Co., et al., 2017 IL App (1st) 161785, 74 N.E.3d 1110 (2017).
- Obtained reversal in the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals of district court’s dismissal of shareholders’ claim for breach of stock agreement. Kmak v. American Century, 754 F.3d 513 (8th Cir. 2014).
- Successfully advocated on behalf of newspaper seeking public access to sealed documents relating to alleged asbestos fraud by members of the plaintiffs’ bar. Legal Newsline v. Garlock Sealing Technologies, 518 B.R. 358 (W.D.N.C. 2014).
- Represented Governor of the State of Illinois in defending against claims challenging the constitutionality of Governor’s use of executive veto power.
- Represented biotechnology company in obtaining dismissal of petition to vacate arbitration award and successfully defended dismissal before the Illinois Appellate Court. Valent BioSciences v. Kim-C1, LLC, 351 Ill. Dec, 952 N.E.2d 657 (1st Dist. 2011).
- Obtained judgment on the pleadings on behalf of municipality in 1.7 million insurance coverage dispute. Fox v. Will County, 1:04-cv-07309, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 115255 (N.D. Ill Aug. 15, 2012).
- Represented newspaper in obtaining dismissal of claims for defamation. Monge v. Madison County Record, Inc., 802 F. Supp. 2d 1327 (N.D. Ga. 2011).
- Assisted trial team with prosecution of claims for fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and defamation during five-week jury trial in federal court involving more than $575 million in controversy.
- Assisted trial team in securing favorable jury verdict in federal court on behalf of national bank accused of knowingly participating in the embezzlement scheme of a fiduciary.
- Represented international bank in obtaining dismissal on personal jurisdiction grounds of claims arising out of alleged Ponzi-scheme.
- Represented propane valve manufacturer in obtaining favorable settlement in products liability lawsuit.
- Represented health insurers in defending against claims for ERISA benefits brought by members of employee welfare benefit plans.
- Obtained favorable settlement in litigation involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy arising out of the purchase, development and resale of a large real estate parcel.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit