University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 1997)
Tufts University (B.A., 1994)
Josh provides strategic legal counsel to corporate and individual clients on critical business matters that include complex corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital/growth equity transactions, corporate structuring and governance issues, employee equity and non-compete agreements, joint ventures and private securities placements. He works with them to analyze their transactions and operations from every angle – planning, negotiation, documentation, implementation and more – to leverage the circumstances to reach the most favorable, yet sensible, outcome for the client.
He regularly represents buyers and sellers in complex mergers and acquisitions involving middle market and large businesses across numerous industries, including technology, manufacturing, retail, health care, financial services, construction and consumer products. Josh excels at developing and implementing comprehensive strategies for equity financing deals and reviewing similar deals for private companies, family offices and high net worth individuals contemplating early and growth-stage investments. He has significant experience handling sophisticated venture capital transactions involving both lead investors and portfolio companies. He also advises clients on various aspects of blockchain-related matters.
Josh is considered a trusted advisor by closely held family businesses, assisting them by developing short- and long-term legal strategies for a variety of business and personal matters. He works closely with them to optimize daily operational efficiency, position business structures and governance systems and tailor succession plans to seamlessly effect ownership transition from one generation to another.
His community involvement includes being a founding member of the board of directors of the Inner-City Education (ICE) Program, an academic scholarship program for lower income Chicago-area youth. He is also a member of the Illinois Venture Capital Association. He is also a member of the firm's Income Partner Review Committee.
Josh has been involved in many significant transactions and representations. The following list demonstrates the variety of transaction sizes and industries in which Josh practices:
- Counsel to The HAVI Group in its acquisition of Pacific Market International, LLC (PMI Worldwide)
- Represented Shure, a global leader in audio technology, in its acquisition of Midas Technology, Inc., also known as Stem Audio
- Sale of Recycling and Waste Solutions (RWS) division of HAVI Global Solutions to Atar Capital
- Sale of the seating and décor business of The Marketing Store Worldwide to Elkay Interior Systems Hong Kong Limited
- Sale of aerosol and liquid product manufacturing business to a private equity-backed platform company
- Triton Container International: Represented 11 members of management in sale of controlling interest in a global marine intermodal cargo container leasing company to two private equity funds
- Upfront Healthcare Services, Inc.: Represented company in its merger acquisition of PatientBond, Inc.
- Lurie Investments: Lead investor in each of Nanosphere, Inc., ImpactHealth.com, Inc., Premier Nutrition Corporation, Discera, Inc. and Cytopherx, Inc., among other companies
- $311 million cash disposition of a privately held finance company in a leveraged transaction to a private equity fund having more than $1.75 billion in capital commitments
- $264 million cash acquisition of certain assets of Transamerica Leasing, Inc. by Union Tank Car Company
- $240 million cash and stock merger with internet technology start-up company by public company in promotional products industry
- $203 million cash disposition of a privately held industrial manufacturer to a private equity fund having over $2.6 billion of equity under management
- $152.5 million cash sale of a privately held manufacturer to a portfolio company of a multibillion dollar private equity fund
- $150 million cash and stock disposition of privately held trucking logistics company to CH Robinson Worldwide, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHRW)
- $140 million cash disposition of a privately held industrial company in a leveraged transaction to an investor group led by Park Avenue Equity Partners, L.P. and target company management
- $140 million cash disposition of privately held company in leveraged buy-out transaction in senior residential living industry
- $133 million cash disposition by Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited of its 50% joint venture interest in a dairy ingredient manufacturer
- Represented SaaS company in $120 million sale to a private equity fund-backed buyer
- Acquisition by Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited of a 33% joint venture interest in a whey processing plant
- $64 million cash acquisition of partner’s 50% interest in joint venture retail business
- $58 million sale of provider of specialty services to manufacturers and medical device-related businesses
- $40 million cash and stock disposition of a resort spa to private investor
- $35 million cash disposition of venture-backed Care Team Connect, Inc. to The Advisory Board Company (NASDAQ: ABCO)
- $26 million cash acquisition of assets of the R.P.S. Recreational Products business of Cardinal Health, Inc. by privately held company
- $18 million cash and stock disposition of Astor Asset Management, LLC to Knight Capital Group, Inc.
- EDL Consulting, Ltd.: Advised company on sale of its software built for the Salesforce platform
- Nelligan Sports Marketing, Inc.: Advised company on its sale to Learfield Communications, Inc. (a portfolio company of Providence Equity)
- Model Metrics, Inc.: Represented client in its sale to Salesforce.com, Inc.
- Represented a family office in multiple rounds of financing of an e-cigarette company
- Represented multiple technology companies in Series A and subsequent rounds
- Represented multiple start-ups in initial bridge note financings of $250,000 - $3,000,000
- The Legal 500 United States, recommended in “M&A/Corporate & Commercial: M&A: Middle-market (sub-$500 million), ” 2016-2020, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, recommended in “Corporate Law” since 2016