Jessica is an intellectual property associate whose practice focuses on protecting and policing clients’ trademark, trade dress and copyright rights. Jessica counsels clients in all aspects of their branding, advertising and enforcement needs. She specializes in trademark counseling for clients in a wide variety of industries, including consumer home goods, food products, tobacco products, hospitality/restaurant services, online services. She works with domestic and international companies to register, maintain, protect and license trademarks, service marks, domain names and trade names, and assists clients with the development and implementation of brand management and enforcement programs. Jessica regularly reviews, analyzes and provides risk analysis for clients’ social media campaigns, websites and advertisements. She manages intellectual property policing and enforcement matters for numerous clients at all stages of such disputes, and her litigation experience includes cases in the areas of trademark, trade dress, unfair competition, copyright and patent law, in both federal court and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings. She also works with clients to structure licensing agreements to commercialize their intellectual property.
Jessica has extensive experience with internet-related issues, such as social media account disputes, Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) claims and Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act claims. She regularly assists companies with domain name disputes, including ICANN disputes and Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution (UDRP) actions.
Jessica received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Anthropology and Political Science from Emory University. She then received her Juris Doctor from Chicago-Kent College of Law, where she acted as a key research assistant in the Institute for Science, Law and Technology.
Jessica is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the JUF Young Lawyers Society.
Jessica has been listed as a Rising Star in the 2016-2018 editions of Illinois Super Lawyers.
- Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, Inc. v. Talk of the Town Restaurants, Inc. and Ron Woodsby (M.D. Florida) - won a jury verdict for client in the Federal Court for the Middle District of Florida in a trademark infringement action.
- Represented a major furniture designer and manufacturer in a case involving alleged copyright infringement; case was favorably settled.
- Represented website designer in pro bono litigation in the Federal Court for the Northern District of Illinois in a copyright infringement action; case was favorably settled.
- Regularly advise major fast food restaurant chain regarding trademark enforcement and advertising clearance matters.
- Regularly advise major retail store regarding trademark clearance and enforcement, advertising clearance, design patent and copyright matters.
- Monitored hundreds of registered domain names comprised of a well-known hotel client’s trademarks as well as active websites making use of those trademarks, and assisted in the enforcement of that client’s rights through appropriate legal mechanisms, including ICANN dispute processes.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, "Intellectual Property Law," since 2022
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois