Angela R. Elbert
Indiana University School of Law (J.D., 1996), cum laude
Hanover College (B.A., 1993), cum laude
Angela is chair of the firm's Insurance Policyholder practice group. She counsels corporate policyholders on complex risk management and insurance issues and develops custom strategies to maximize recovery when claims arise. With over two decades of experience, Angela has been instrumental in recovering hundreds of millions of dollars of insurance for her clients through negotiation, mediation and, where necessary, litigation. Her nationwide risk management practice spans a broad range of capabilities, including negotiating insurance with the best terms available, providing strategic assistance on the insurance aspects of complex corporate transactions, resolving financial insolvency concerns and evaluating, preparing and enforcing indemnification agreements.
With considerable experience managing insurance coverage and commercial litigation disputes before state and federal courts and arbitration panels, Angela focuses her national litigation practice primarily on prosecuting policyholder claims for a wide array of insurance lines. Angela is a frequent speaker on insurance topics and is the outgoing policyholder side chair of the Insurance Committee of the ABA’s Section of Litigation.
Her clients hold numerous, complex insurance policies, and typically need guidance to orchestrate the coverage those policies provide. After thoroughly reviewing clients’ insurance portfolios, Angela assists clients to establish necessary coverage levels and eliminate gaps that could leave their businesses exposed.
Angela’s enthusiasm for her work helps her build valuable, enduring relationships with clients, peers and industry leaders, enabling her to solve challenges and close complicated deals. Ranked in various industry sources, her clients say “she is always on top of the detail, business-focused and her experience in insurance law is terrific." - Chambers USA 2017.
- Represented talc mining company in obtaining coverage for underlying provider liability type claims under general liability policies
- Counsel to large retailer in seeking coverage under general liability policy for Song-Beverly Act zip capture class actions pending in California
- Represented privately-held window manufacturer as national coverage counsel in “bet the company” construction defect litigation which culminated in a global settlement of 60 underlying lawsuits and coverage issues with an assignment of rights for plaintiffs to pursue non-settling insurers
- Represented ticket broker in obtaining bad faith penalty and damages and insurance recovery for underlying defamation and contractual dispute
- Counsel to publicly held Fortune 500 company on negotiating successful complex coverage in place-type agreement on long-tail toxic tort claim
- Represented not-for-profit association in multimillion-dollar fraud action, including coverage claims for defamation counterclaims brought against association and its officers and directors
- Counsel to financial services company with captive insurer in Bermuda coverage arbitration against reinsurer involving underlying fraud lawsuit, which resulted in a multimillion-dollar award
- Represented large pension management fund in coverage action relating to underlying lawsuits with its former officers and directors and additional alleged ERISA violations
- Defended former directors and officers of defunct physicians management corporation in coverage action involving underlying financial fraud claim
- Attorney for asbestos manufacturer in $1 billion asbestos products and premises liability coverage action
- Counsel for large privately held company in $400 million coverage action under crime and other policies relating to employee thefts
- Represented large technology company in coverage action relating to underlying trade secret claim and advertising injury
- Counsel for energy company in multimillion-dollar coverage action relating to underlying wrongful death claims from gas explosion
- Represented publicly held Fortune 100 company in multimillion-dollar coverage action relating to underlying environmental clean-up
Representative Reported Decisions:
- Coltec Industries Inc. v. Zurich Insurance Company, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1207, 99 C 1087 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 29, 2004)
- Coltec Industries Inc. v. Zurich Insurance Company, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 18979, 99 C 1087 (N.D. Ill. Sept. 30, 2002)
- BTI Consulting Group - 2018 Client Service All-Star
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, recommended in “Insurance: Coverage Litigation,” 2008-2011 editions and in “Insurance: Dispute Resolution,” since 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America (recommended in “Insurance Law”), since 2011
- Named among “Women to Watch” by Business Insurance, 2013
- Illinois Super Lawyers (2012-2018): featured as the cover story (2014); listed and included on “Best of the Best” Illinois Top 10 Super Lawyers (2013); Top 50 Women Illinois Super Lawyers (2013-2018); Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyers (2013-2016); and listed as “Rising Star” (2011, 2009)
- “40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch” (named by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, publisher of Chicago Lawyer and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin), 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review AV Peer Review Rated (the highest possible rating)
- Alta May Hulett Award (Chicago Bar Association award that recognizes one lawyer per year practicing law for less than 15 years who have demonstrated the promotion of positive change and contributions to the advancement of women in the legal profession), 2010
- 100 Women Making a Difference (named by Today’s Chicago Woman), 2011
- Inspiration Award (Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law), 2012
- The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers 2013 & Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2014
- Top 100 Under 50 Diverse Executive Leaders (Diversity MBA Magazine), 2013
- “Daily Point of Light Award” (awarded by Points of Light), October 23, 2014
- “Woman of Influence” (named by the Chicago Business Journal), 2015
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Regional Co-chair, Illinois Judicial Intern Opportunity Program (2018-2019)
- Co-chair, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee ("ICLC") (2015-2018)
- Policyholder Vice-chair, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee (2012-2015)
- Co-chair, ICLC Women Insurance Network CLE Conference (2012)
- Managing editor of Coverage, a nationally distinguished ABA publication for ICLC (2003-2010)
- Co-chair, ICLC's CLE Annual Seminar (2008), vice-chair (2007)
- Member, ICLC Long Range Planning Committee for the ABA ICLC (2009-2012)
- Co-chair, ICLC Practice and Business Development Subcommittee (2010-2012)
- Co-chair, ICLC Membership Subcommittee (2011-2012)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chair, Insurance Committee (2009-2010), vice-chair (2008-2009) and secretary (2007- 2008)
- Chair, Civil Practice Committee, Division III (1999-2000), vice-chair (1998-1999) and secretary (1997-1998)
- Step Up
- Chair of National Board of Directors (2014-2015); Member (2012-2018)
- Chair of Chicago Board of Directors (2012-2013); Member (2010-2013)
- Chair of Chicago Corporate Fundraising Committee (2010-2011)
- Art Institute of Chicago Auxiliary Board
- Board Member (2010-2017); Emeritus Board Member (2017-present)
- Co-chair, Development Committee (2012-2014)
- Co-chair, Treasure Hunt Event (2010-2011)
- Art Institute of Chicago Volunteer (2003-2009)
- Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law
- Board member (2009-2012)
- Treasurer (2010-2011)
- Co-chair of Community Outreach Committee (2008-2010)
- American College of Coverage Counsel
- Fellow (2014-present)
- Co-chair, Communications Committee (2018-2019)
- Vice-chair, Annual Meeting (2018-2019)
- Member, Associate Review Committee (2015-present)
- Member, Marketing Committee (2017-present)
- Co-chair of Women’s Network’s leadership team (group devoted to promotion of business and professional development of women professionals) (2006-2011), Member (2018-present)
- Member, Income Partner Review Committee (2015-2017)
- Member, Long Range Planning Committee (2012)
- Quoted in, “Independent Counsel Required for Insurers to Avoid Conflicts,” American Bar Association’s Litigation News, February 22, 2016.
- Quoted in, “Pictures Perfect: Your Professional Image in a Connected World,” Crain’s, November 6, 2015.
- Featured in “Steps in the Right Direction,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, October 31, 2014.
- Received the Daily Point of Light Award from Points of Light, October 23, 2014.
- Named to Michigan Avenue’s “The List,” Summer 2014.
- Quoted in “Ritchie helps credit union adjust to new regulation,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, June 26, 2014.
- Quoted in “Data Dump,” Franchise Times, June 3, 2014.
- Quoted in “For Working-Mom Firm Partners, a Peer Support Group Bolsters Success,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, May 5, 2014.
- Published article, “Rainmaker Q&A: Neal Gerber’s Angela Elbert,” Law360, July 25, 2013.
- Quoted in “You Know Everybody!: A Career Girl’s Guide to Building a Network That Works,” Marcy Twete, June 2013.
- Quoted in “If I Knew Then What I Know Now,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, October 2012.
- Published article, “BUSS Stop: A Policy Language Based Analysis,” 13 Conn. Ins. L.J. 61 (2006-07), cited and quoted in Pennsylvania Supreme Court case American & Foreign Insurance Company v. Jerry’s Sport Center, Inc., __ A.2d __, 2010 WL 3222404, August 17, 2010.
- Quoted in “D&O Insurance in the U.S.,” Financier Worldwide, March 2009.
- Quoted in “Howrey Exodus Continues as Two More Leave,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, March 3, 2011.
- Quoted in “Kramer Book: Green Energy ‘Know-How,’” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, August 30, 2010.
- Quoted and Honored in “Alliance for Women Honors Two Who Follow Motto We Must Lift as We Climb,” CBA Record, June-July 2010.
- Quoted in “Match Game: Linking Nonprofits, Skilled Female Volunteers,” Chicago Sun-Times, March 7, 2009.
- Quoted in “Just What Makes a Firm Friendly for Women and Working Mothers?,” National Law Journal, August 14, 2008.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit