Bill provides strategic counsel to numerous clients regarding the development, protection and monetization of sophisticated global intellectual property portfolios. His practice includes a wide array of intellectual property matters with a particular emphasis portfolio management and long-term portfolio strategy development, management of defense and enforcement actions, infringement and clearance analyses, technology agreements, licenses and transfers, and strategic guidance on significant corporate, private equity and other investment transactions that involve complex intellectual property components.
He represents businesses across a broad spectrum of industries and technologies, including financial services, data and analytics, digital marketing, software, mobile device manufacturers, professional audio and consumer electronics, health care IT, and telecommunications. He serves as primary intellectual property counsel for several clients. He helps them navigate their highly competitive markets, managing extensive portfolios and licensing practices and fully leveraging their intellectual property to meet business objectives.
Bill’s litigation practice focuses on the development and deployment of litigation strategy and managing litigation teams in disputes across the country from both the enforcement and defense perspectives. He counsels clients through every aspect of litigation and provides pragmatic advice in consideration of all facets of the clients’ business.
Bill is a member of NGE's Sustainability Committee, which develops and oversees firm initiatives designed to reduce NGE's environmental footprint.
Before starting his legal career, Bill worked as a development engineer for an international communications products manufacturer where he developed a deep understanding of the complex business and legal considerations and internal pressures his clients face every day in their operations. This practical experience enables him to take a more holistic and business-focused approach to learning his clients’ operations, anticipating and responding to critical changes in the marketplace, and developing new, multifaceted strategies to protect and leverage their intellectual property all over the world.
- Successfully defended client in paper industry against patent infringement claims, resulting in a jury verdict of zero liability to competitor seeking $120 million in damages.
- Co-orchestrated and managed patent enforcement campaign in artificial sports turf industry, resulting in numerous favorable settlements and increased market share for client.
- Obtained patents and successfully licensed technology for start-up battery technology client resulting in first significant revenue stream for client.
- Obtained and successfully leveraged patents for automotive components manufacturer resulting in obtaining key customer contracts.
- Prepared and filed summary judgment motion directed to prelusion of plaintiff’s damages claims, resulting in opposing counsel withdrawing damages claim before decision.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit