Nick is a partner in the firm’s Securities Litigation & Regulatory practice group. A trial lawyer with 40 years of experience, he defends financial services firms and their employees in securities matters all over the country. Nick’s practice encompasses the full range of investor-based disputes and regulatory enforcement proceedings, as well as disputes arising out of employment practices in the financial services industry. He also handles internal investigations and investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and other state and federal agencies.
Nick has developed an intimate knowledge of how the securities industry operates on a practical level, how regulators interact with the industry, and how courts or arbitrators typically treat particular cases. This knowledge and experience enables him to quickly access each new factual scenario, evaluate a client’s strengths and weaknesses and then develop a strategy for navigating the obstacles that may arise during the litigation, arbitration or an investigation in order to reach a successful result.
Nick works closely with clients to understand their business motivations and to ensure they are fully informed at every organizational level when making critical decisions during the course of any engagement in order to handle matters in a cost-efficient manner.
Clients and peers recognize Nick as an industry leader in securities litigation. Nick is often a speaker at industry forums and has served as co-chair of the ABA Securities Litigation Committee. In a recent issue of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, one client described Nick as “detail-oriented, thorough and dogged in getting the best results” and “extremely knowledgeable in the securities area.” In addition, one peer described him as “knowledgeable and practical, with sound judgment.”
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, recommended in “Securities Litigation” since 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America, recommended in “Securities Litigation” since 2007
- Illinois Super Lawyers, recommended in “Securities Litigation” since 2007
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Supreme Court of Illinois