Mike, a registered patent attorney, represents clients across a broad spectrum of intellectual property disciplines, including the procurement, analysis, and enforcement of utility and design patents, trademarks, copyrights, and other forms of intellectual property. Mike has served as lead attorney in patent and trademark cases in multiple federal courts, has second-chaired a patent litigation case through a successful multi-week jury trial, and has handled numerous appeals. He has also been involved in several successful proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeals Board. As a member of the Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Mike has gained high-quality and in-depth experience on both the litigation and transactional sides of intellectual property.
On the transactional side, he manages global patent and trademark portfolios for several firm clients, and has obtained patent rights for clients in various technical disciplines across the mechanical, electrical, computer science, and business system arts. Mike also has advised clients on hundreds of patents in the context of acquisition due diligence, license negotiations, and non-infringement/invalidity analyses. He has also led successful licensing campaigns to monetize patent portfolios he has helped create.
A graduate of West Point, Mike served overseas in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for several years. Including time prior to law school, he has spent the past twenty years either working as a designer or engineer or with designers and engineers. Clients value that Mike tailors his work to every circumstance and customizes services based on their distinctive needs and situations.
Mike has been listed as a Rising Star in Illinois Super Lawyers since 2016. He serves on the firm's Pro Bono Committee, and often practices education law in a pro bono capacity for parents of special needs children, helping them obtain access to a meaningful education under the federal Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act. Related to his pro bono work, Mike is the author of Raising Special Children: A Guide to the Road Less Travelled, available through Amazon.com and Kindle.
Mike has helped clients enforce their intellectual property and has defended them against infringement claims in federal courts all around the country. Below is a summary of some recent results:
- Obtained summary judgment for vacation property booking client and permanent injunction forcing the client’s larger competitor to change its name and stop infringing the client’s registered trademark. (N.D. Ill., 2017; 172 U.S.P.Q.2d 1514)
- Saved wireless technology client from a $750,000 patent infringement judgment levied prior to Mike joining the case by drawing the Court’s attention to procedural flaws and new evidence, and convincing the Court to set aside the judgment. (S.D. Cal., 2017)
- Obtained preliminary injunction for a client in the paintball industry that halted a leading competitor’s sale of paintballs that infringe the client’s distinctive trade dress. (D.N.J., 2016)
- Won a jury trial finding willful infringement of a patent covering high voltage x-ray transformers after successfully challenging an initial unfavorable summary judgment ruling before the Federal Circuit. (W.D.N.C., 2016)
- Won complete dismissal for a headphone manufacturer accused of infringing several patents covering laminate packaging before the U.S. International Trade Commission. (U.S.I.T.C., 2014)
Mike advises and assists individual inventors, Fortune 100 companies, and clients of all sizes in between on customized strategies for protecting their intellectual property and limiting the risks posed by others. Some of Mike’s larger recent projects include:
- Advised agricultural arm of a global conglomerate on the purchase of a large patent and trademark portfolio covering certain fungicide products and technology, and assists the client in managing and enforcing the portfolio, which includes rights in over ninety countries.
- Constructed and executed a highly successful patent licensing campaign for a client that has enabled them to place nearly 75% of the promotional products market under licenses covering the sale of more than 100 million stylus pens per year.
- Developed a disclosure mining program for a global technology company in the employment space that has drastically increased their invention disclosures and number of in-process patent applications over the past 18 months.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit