Mike is a patent attorney who helps clients protect their complex technologies and innovations through representation on all aspects of patent law, including patent counseling, advice and prosecution, transactions, contested proceedings, and opinion preparation. He manages nationwide patent prosecution efforts for assorted technologies, overseeing similar efforts internationally, and counseling clients on the development and implementation of long-term patent portfolio strategies. He is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and has prepared numerous patent applications, responses and appeals.
He also represents clients in numerous vital matters that profoundly affect their portfolios and operations, including assessing competitor technologies, negotiating and preparing licenses and transfers, assisting with corporate transactions involving patent issues, conducting due diligence to support patent licenses, preparing patent opinions, and representing clients in adversarial proceedings before administrative agencies and courts throughout the country.
Mike has a sophisticated background in chemistry that enables him to develop patent portfolios covering a variety of products in the life sciences industry, including pharmaceuticals, biologics, diagnostics, genetics, and laboratory instruments and reagents. He brings unique insights and experiences to other chemical industries and products, such as coatings and composites, skin care, renewable fuels, and health foods. He has developed a well-earned reputation for providing helpful and practical advice on multimillion-dollar acquisitions and collaborations, including conducting risk assessments and preparing agreements that include intellectual property, corporate, antitrust and regulatory components.
Clients often have intellectual property situations that require creative solutions to ensure their portfolios are comprehensive and achieve their maximum potential. Mike is a problem solver who excels at satisfying these needs, including identifying inspired ways to differentiate similar products to avoid infringement, and guiding researchers in the design of new products that are currently unavailable in the marketplace.
- Providing patent analysis and licensing advice on global strategic collaboration on a kinase inhibitor for lymphomas. The collaboration has a potential value to the licensee of over $900 million.
- Advising client on patent issues for a licensing collaboration on a kinase inhibitor for treating autoimmune diseases. This collaboration has a potential value to the licensee in excess of $1 billion.
- Conducting due diligence on patent issues for an acquisition of a company developing therapeutic antibodies for indications in immunology and oncology. The company was acquired for $450 million.
- Providing strategic analysis of IP landscapes and specific patents for various disease states, including cancer, inflammatory disorders, neurodegenerative disorders, cardiovascular disorders, neuropathic and visceral pain, viral infection and metabolic diseases.
- Prosecuting patent applications covering skin disinfecting foams widely found in hospitals, office and public areas.
Representative Life Science Patents & Applications
- U.S. Patent No. 8,623,819 — “Therapy for complications of diabetes”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,691,255 — “Method of producing high alcohol content foaming compositions with silicone-based surfactants”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,647,334 — “Apparatus and processes for preventing or delaying one or more symptoms of presbyopia”
- U.S. Publication No. 20110182942 — “Meningococcal multivalent native outer membrane vesicle vaccine, methods of making and use thereof”
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit