Nicholas M. Miller
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., 1998), cum laude
Cleveland State University (B.A., 1995), summa cum laude
Nick has a well-established reputation for helping both debtor and creditor clients whose assets or recoveries have been threatened by financial distress. Those clients include troubled businesses, their secured and unsecured creditors (e.g. commercial and alternative lenders, bondholders, indenture trustees, and official committees of unsecured creditors), and distressed investors and asset purchasers. The vast majority of his engagements involve actual or contemplated chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
He represents both large and small companies, but his focus is on the middle market. His work has spanned a broad range of industries, including gaming, hospitality, health care, financial services, real estate, retail, manufacturing, media and multiple technologies.
Nick has been recognized for his work by clients and peers alike. He is a recognized leader in the insolvency field, having been elected to leadership positions in various industry and professional organizations. Among other honors, Nick has been certified since 2008 as a Business Bankruptcy Specialist by the American Board of Certification — a distinction achieved by select professionals who have met rigorous, objective certification standards relating to experience, continuing legal education, integrity and peer review, and who have demonstrated a sophisticated understanding of business bankruptcy law. He has served on that organization’s board of directors and its Standards Committee.
Nick also received the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) national 2010 Mid-Size Transaction of the Year Award, as well as the national and regional 2013 Small Company Turnaround of Year Award. These awards honor and recognize professionals who led transactions that, according to the TMA, “rescued companies from the shadow of complete ruin.” He currently serves as Immediate Past President of the TMA’s Chicago/Midwest Chapter.
He most recently received a Global M&A Network Turnaround Atlas Award for Consumer Products Turnaround of the Year (2019) for his work leading a group of NGE attorneys in the firm's representation of Hobbico, Inc. and seven of its affiliated debtors.
In addition, Nick also has been recognized as a leader in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (recommended in Bankruptcy/Restructuring) since 2014. According to the survey, clients call him “very knowledgeable,” “very comprehensive,” “energetic and bright,” “thorough, organized,” “a terrific attorney” with a “wealth of practical commercial awareness” and a “great ability to help identify creative and practical solutions” whose “follow up is unparalleled.”
Nick currently serves on the board of directors of Partnership to Educate and Advance Kids (PEAK). PEAK’s mission is to provide opportunities for Chicago’s at-risk youth to achieve academic and personal success through a quality, values-based education and the guidance of caring adult mentors. Nick also has provided a substantial amount of pro bono legal services to a number of clients over the years.
- Bankruptcy Court Liaison Committee for the Northern District of Illinois (2019-2021 term)
- Turnaround Management Association (Past President of Chicago/Midwest Chapter)
- Board Member and member of Standards Committee, American Board of Certification (2013-2018)
- Advisory Board Member of the ABI Central States Bankruptcy Workshop (2016-present)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Financial Advisors and Investment Banking, Secured Credit, and Unsecured Trade Creditors Committees) (2005-present)
- Trial Bar, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2009-present)
- Board Member (Vice Chair), Partnership to Educate and Advance Kids (PEAK) (2013-present)
- Cleveland Bar Fellow (2002-2009)
- Trustee, Cleveland Bar Association (2002-2003)
- Honorable Donald C. Nugent, United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1997
- Husky Int’l Electronics, Inc. v. Ritz, 136 S. Ct. 1581 (2016)
- In re BX Acquisitions, Inc., 2016 Bankr. LEXIS 1858 (Bankr. N.D. Ohio April 27, 2016)
- In re Crane, 742 F.3d 702 (7th Cir. 2013)
- Gifford State Bank v. Richardson (In re Crane), 487 B.R. 906 (C.D. Ill. 2013)
- River East Plaza, LLC v. LNV Corp. (In re River East Plaza, LLC), 669 F.3d 826 (7th Cir. 2012)
- Seraphin v. Morris Publ’g Group, LLC (In re Morris Publ’g Group, LLC), 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 32025 (S.D. Ga. March 28, 2011)
- McMillan v. LTV Steel, Inc., 555 F.3d 218 (6th Cir. 2009)
- In re Ampex Corp., 2008 Bankr. LEXIS 1536 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. May 14, 2008)
- Oil States Int’l, Inc. v. LTV Corp. (In re LTV Steel Co., Inc.), 253 Fed. Appx. 535 (6th Cir. 2007)
- McMillan v. LTV Steel Co., Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 71621 (N.D. Ohio Sept. 26, 2007)
- In re LTV Steel Co., Inc., 357 B.R. 118 (Bankr. N.D. Ohio 2006)
- Oil States Int’l, Inc. v. LTV Corp., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 77307 (N.D. Ohio Oct. 24, 2006)
- C&K Indus. Servs. v. LTV Steel Co., Inc., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 68514 (N.D. Ohio Sept. 25, 2006)
- In re LTV Steel Co., 333 B.R. 397 (Bankr. N.D. Ohio 2005)
- Cleveland Bar Ass’n v. Johnson, 761 N.E. 2d 1043 (Ohio 2002)
- Treinish v. Glazer (In re Glazer), 248 B.R. 528 (Bankr. N.D. Ohio 2000)
- Berg v. Cleveland Clinic Found., 2000 Ohio App. LEXIS 4994 (Cuyahoga App. Oct. 26, 2000)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Supreme Court