Mark J. Horne
DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 1973)
Southern Illinois University Carbondale (B.S., 1969)
Mark represents a diverse group of clients including developers, private real estate companies, publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs) and high net worth individuals in connection with complex transactions throughout the country. He regularly handles matters involving office buildings, shopping centers, large-scale mixed-use projects, industrial properties, restaurants and multifamily apartment projects. Mark also has significant experience managing large multistate portfolio transactions. He prides himself on being practical, responsive and efficient, always protective of his clients’ best interests.
- Representation of a publicly traded REIT, completing many acquisitions and dispositions of large multifamily apartment and mixed-use projects throughout the U.S. Recent matters for this client include the $5.365 billion sale of a 72-property multifamily portfolio.
- Representation of a national shopping-center operator in connection with acquisition, dispositions and leasing of regional shopping malls and lifestyle centers.
- Recent matters for this client include:
- Acquisition of nine shopping centers located in TX, MI, OK & CA with an asset value of $600 million.
- $70 million acquisition of shopping center Oahu, HI.
- $122 million acquisition of shopping center in Charlottesville, VA.
- Acquisition of a joint venture interest in five shopping centers in TN, HI, AZ and KS with an asset value of $1.625 billion.
- Acquisition of joint venture interest in three shopping centers in CA, CT and MD with an asset value of $925 million.
- Sale of two shopping centers in NH with an asset value of $62.5 million.
- Formation of mixed-use condominium and acquisition of retail units in LA with an asset value of $235.4 million.
- Representation of the developer of a six-building, 70-acre office and industrial park in suburban Chicago totaling 250,000 square feet of office space and 350,000 square feet of industrial space on all land use matters, construction and permanent financing, construction documents and leasing matters.
- Representation of a large, international air-courier service in connection with the acquisition and development of a 400,000-square-foot distribution center in suburban Chicago.
- Representation of a nationally recognized restaurant operator in connection with the leasing, construction and operation of six Chicago-area restaurants.
- Representation of owner/developer of North Michigan Avenue retail site in Chicago in connection with demolition, construction and construction and permanent financing.
- Representation of the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art in the construction of its new museum, including negotiating and drafting ground and restaurant leases.
- Representation of the City of Chicago, Department of Aviation in re-leasing primary retail space at O’Hare Airport.
- Representation of a publicly traded company in its $250 million refinancing of all of its U.S. facilities.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2013 (Real Estate Law)
- Named a 2012 BTI Client Service All-Star in Real Estate by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
- Designated “Specialist in Real Estate Securities” by National Association of Realtors
- Lifetime member of National Registry’s Who’s Who and National Register’s Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals
- Selected for inclusion in the 2006-2013 and 2017-2018 editions of Illinois Super Lawyers (Real Estate)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Leading Lawyers Network member
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois