Kenneth A. "Kenny" Matuszewski
Kenneth “Kenny” Matuszewski is an Associate Counsel in the firm’s Intellectual Property & Technology Transactions practice group. A registered patent attorney, he advises clients on patent prosecution for both utility and design patents. He also has extensive experience litigating software, electrical, and mechanical patents arts in district court and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Specifically, he has worked with gaming technologies, software, blockchain, drones, SIM cards, automotive technologies, banking technologies, and wireless LAN.
In these fields, Kenny has prepared responses to motions to dismiss, claim construction briefs, and preliminary response briefs. He has also drafted responses to office actions and patent applications for mechanical, electrical, and biological inventions, along with designs. Additionally, Kenny counsels clients on settlement negotiations, litigation strategy and case preparation. Kenny uses this litigation experience to anticipate future issues and determine the best course of action during prosecution.
Kenny also has an active pro bono practice and has been profiled in multiple publications for his pro bono work. He has given legal advice to pro se litigants in all stages of litigation at the William J. Hibbler Memorial Pro Se Assistance Program Help Desk and later represented them at settlement conferences and in settlement negotiations through the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois’ Settlement Assistance Program. He also serves as a volunteer attorney for Lawyers for the Creative Arts and the Chicago-Kent Patent Hub.
- ABA Award of Achievement for Best Newsletter (@theBar Blog), 2019, American Bar Association
- Rising Star Award for Leaders with Exceptional Promise, 2019, Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyer’s Section
- Patent Pro Bono Service Certificates, 2017-2018, USPTO
- Ladas Memorial Award, 2016, International Trademark Association
- Second Place Award, Second-Best Brief, and Second-Best Oral Argument, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition (National), 2016, International Trademark Association
- First Place Award and Best Brief, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition (Midwest Region), 2016, International Trademark Association
- Dolores K. Hanna Trademark Prize, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, May 2016
- Chicago Bar Association (Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers’ Section Intellectual Property Law Committee, 2018-present; Co-Head Editor of the @theBar Blog, 2018-present; Project Officer, 2019-present; Public Service Manager, 2020-2021)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Intellectual Property Section Council: CLE Coordinator, 2018-2019; Secretary, 2019-present; Vice-Chair, 2020-2021)
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (Vice Chair of the Membership Committee, 2018-2019; Co-Chair of the CLE Committee, 2019-present)
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts (Associate Board Member, 2017-present; Associate Board Treasurer, 2019-present)
- Notre Dame Club of Chicago (Board of Directors, 2019-present)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas