John J. Koenigsknecht
The George Washington University Law School (J.D., 1996)
Harvard University (A.B., 1991), cum laude
John, a partner in the firm’s Corporate & Securities practice group, counsels public and private companies on complicated corporate transactions and governance matters. He regularly handles mergers and acquisitions, entity structuring, tax minimization, intellectual property and licensing matters, executive compensation agreements, non-compete agreements and confidentiality agreements. John co-chairs the firm’s Cross-Border & International practice group.
He advises his clients concerning securities offerings, including initial and secondary public offerings, debt offerings, private equity and venture capital transactions, and other capital-building transactions. He also formulates structures for private placements and manages sophisticated transactions on behalf of international clients conducting business in the United States. John develops business strategies for clients across a broad range of industries, with an emphasis on mining and precious metals, software development and consumer and industrial product manufacturing.
John is the Global Chair of the Mergers and Acquisition Special Business Team for Interlaw, the Band 1 Chambers rated global network of legal providers, consisting of more than 7,000 attorneys worldwide. Recently a Recognized Practitioner for M&A in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, he has also been specifically acknowledged in the Nationwide Energy: Mining & Metals (Transactional) category every year since its inception. In a recent issue, clients described him as going “above and beyond” and as being “always accessible and responsive.”
In addition to the general corporate counseling and business advice he provides on a day-to-day basis to companies of various types and sizes, John has been involved in many significantly larger transactions, including the following representative transactions:
- $10 billion stock merger of Goldcrop Inc. with Newmont Mining Corporation, resulting in the world’s largest gold mining company.
- $1.3 billion stock and cash merger of Tahoe Resources Inc. with Pan American Silver Corporation, plus issuance of contingent value rights (CVRs) for up to an additional $220 million, to create the world’s pre-eminent silver mining company.
- NYSE MKT dual listing of Sandstorm Gold Ltd. as U.S. securities counsel.
- NASDAQ dual listing of Coastal Contacts Inc. (NASDAQ: COA, TSX: COA) as U.S. securities counsel.
- $8.6 billion merger of Glamis Gold Ltd. with Goldcorp Inc., resulting in one of the largest gold mining companies in the world.
- $3.7 billion cross-border, hostile tender offer and proxy fight by Glamis Gold Ltd. in bid for Goldcorp Inc.
- $3.5 billion acquisition of Andean Resources Limited by Goldcorp Inc.
- Rights offering conducted by General Growth Properties, Inc. in connection with the $12.6 billion acquisition of The Rouse Company.
- Cdn$1 billion underwritten "bought deal" public secondary securities offering of shares of Tahoe Resources Inc. (TSX: THO, NYSE: TAHO, BVL: THO) by Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE MKT: GG, TSX: G).
- $1 billion registered debt offering for Goldcorp, Inc.
- $364 million acquisition of The Climate Control Group by publicly traded Swedish industrial company NIBE Industrier AB (NIBE-B.SK).
- $378 million acquisition of WaterFurnace Renewable Energy, Inc. (TSX:WFI) by NIBE Industrier AB (NIBE-B.SK). Transaction was a Finalist for M&A Advisor’s 2014 Cross-Border M&A Deal of the Year.
- Acquisition by NIBE Industrier AB (NIBE-B.SK) of the element manufacturing business of Emerson Electric Co. (NYSE: EMR) located in the U.S., China and Mexico.
- Merger and restructuring of the U.S. operations of a Danish publicly traded software company.
- Acquisition by Backer EHP Inc. and NIBE Industrier AB (NIBE-B.SK) of Springfield Wire, Inc.
- Cdn$435 million sale of Coastal Contacts Inc. to Essilor International S.A.
- $3.6 billion hostile takeover bid by Goldcorp, Inc. for Osisko Mining Corp.
- $1.5 billion acquisition by Goldcorp Inc. of Gold Eagle Mines, Ltd.
- $1.3 billion acquisition by Glamis Gold Ltd. of Western Silver Corporation.
- Covanta Holding Corporation - numerous public offerings of securities, including complex rights offerings.
- Cdn$48.6 million acquisition of Sandstorm Metals & Energy Ltd. (TSXV: SND) by Sandstorm Gold Ltd. (NYSE MKT: SAND, TSX: SSL).
- $1.1 billion acquisition by Placer Dome, Inc. of Getchell Gold Corporation.
- $400 million "bought deal" Rule 144A high yield debt offering for Allied Nevada Gold Corporation.
- Cdn$382 million initial public offering of shares in Canada by Tahoe Resources Inc.
- $300 million acquisition by Goldcorp Inc. of Canplats Resources Corporation following a bidding contest with Minera Penmont, S. de R.L. de C.V., a company jointly owned by Fresnillo PLC and Newmont USA Limited, a subsidiary of Newmont Mining Corporation.
- $275 million sale of Grayd Resource Corporation (TSXV: GYD & OTCQX: GYDRF) to Agnico Eagle Mines Limited (NYSE & TSX: AEM) as U.S. counsel to Grayd.
- $150 million underwritten "bought deal" public offering for Allied Nevada Gold Corporation.
- Cdn$150 million offering as U.S. securities counsel for Sandstorm Gold Ltd.
- Cdn$100 million offering and simultaneous private placement as U.S. securities counsel for a TSXV-listed company.
- $100 million acquisition of a privately held environmental services company by a private equity fund.
- $82 million secondary public offering of common stock of Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Corporation.
- Cdn$57 million offering and simultaneous Rule 144A private placement as lead underwriter’s U.S. Counsel for a TSX-listed company.
- $20 million underwritten public offering as U.S. securities counsel for Coastal Contacts.
- $224 million and $44 million secondary offerings of common shares of Primero Mining Corp. by Goldcorp, Inc.
- $5.7 million acquisition of Gold Royalties Corp. (TSXV: GRO) by Sandstorm Gold Ltd.
- Acquisition by East Africa Metals Inc. (TSX VENTURE: EAM) of all outstanding common shares of Tigray Resources Inc. and corresponding exchange of shares.
- Cdn$28.3 million acquisition of the outstanding common shares of Premier Royalty Inc. (TSX: NSR) by Sandstorm Gold Ltd.
- Multiple bought offerings and simultaneous private placements as U.S. securities counsel for various TSX and TSXV-listed companies.