Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 2007)
Northwestern University (B.A., 2003)
Eric is a litigator who represents clients in complex business litigation. He delivers exacting and efficient legal services to his clients while remaining cost-effective.
Eric’s wide-ranging practice includes litigating contract disputes, business torts, fiduciary duty claims, and complex insurance coverage disputes among the myriad issues that arise from the demands of operating a business. Eric also regularly advises corporate and individual policyholders concerning insurance coverage issues and disputes, and litigates whenever circumstances call for it. Eric has first- and second-chaired multiple jury trials, entrenched himself in complex and protracted discovery phases of litigation, and briefed and argued countless dispositive issues in state and appellate courts, including before the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Clients value his singular ability to find innovative solutions to intricate legal challenges, and regard him as an exceptional yet approachable litigator who is able to strike a chord with any audience. For these reasons, among others, in 2018 Eric was recognized as one of “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch” by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Eric is committed to the firm’s diversity as a member of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, and strives to ensure that the firm is held to the highest standards for embracing an open and equal environment. He is also a member of the firm’s hiring committee, an active participant in the firm’s recruiting process, very active in pro bono work, and serves as a formal mentor to associates, clerks and interns.
He has served as Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Insurance Law Committee and is a current Executive Board Member and the Treasurer of the Korean American Bar Association.
- Lead trial counsel in five-day jury trial, securing complete victory in suit alleging non-payment for services rendered in complex multi-party consulting arrangement.
- Secured complete trial defense for Fortune 25 company against claims of breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and other torts, as trial counsel in five-day jury trial.
- Successfully defended Fortune 25 company in connection with two False Claims Act suits.
- Successfully defended boutique management consulting group in five-day arbitration.
- Secured not guilty verdict in re-trial of murder case exonerating client after she had spent 8 years in prison, as trial counsel in five-day jury trial.
- Lead trial counsel in five-day jury trial concerning false arrest and unlawful detention.
- Argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, securing complete reversal and remand in an action alleging violation of individual’s due process and Eighth Amendment rights. Childress v. Walker, 787 F.3d 433 (7th Cir. 2015).
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of breach of contract suit against national mobile service provider and victory in appellate court when matter was later appealed. Triple L Lawn Maint. & Landscaper Contrs., Inc. v. T-Mobile USA, Inc., 2014 IL App (1st) 112161-U.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of suit against large national brand licensor alleging fraud, breach of contract, and negligence and victory in appellate court when matter was later appealed. Tonerize, L.L.C. v. PLR IP Holdings, L.L.C., 2015 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 179.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of aircraft owner in dispute over title to a World War II-era fighter plane. Greenhill v. Vartanian, No. 15-cv-09585, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 186706 (N.D. Ill. Nov. 13, 2017).
- Represented Governor of the State of Illinois in defending against claims challenging the constitutionality of Governor’s use of executive veto power.
- Assisted litigation team in high-stakes litigation involving fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and defamation during five-week jury trial in federal court involving more than $575 million in controversy.
- Represented employees of one of the world’s largest oil and gas companies during governmental investigation.
- Secured numerous confidential settlement agreements in high-stakes litigation for clients ranging from premier online dating company to multiplatinum award-winning rock band to famous Chicago eateries and establishments.
- Counsels and represents Fortune 200 company in various ongoing environmental insurance coverage matters and litigation.
- Advises national fitness club concerning membership agreements.
- "Notable Minorities in Accounting, Consulting & Law," Crain's Chicago Business, 2020
- "Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service," U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, 2019
- "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch," Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)