Emer is a partner in the Intellectual Property practice group. A registered patent attorney, she is an accomplished litigator with substantial experience successfully representing both patent challengers and patent owners in Hatch-Waxman and patent infringement matters before the U.S. District Court and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
With a science degree from Cambridge University, Emer possesses a keen understanding of the pharmaceutical, chemical, and biotech fields. She focuses her practice on client counseling and patent litigation in the life sciences space, with a particular focus on pharmaceuticals.
Emer prides herself on building strong relationships with clients to assist them in decision making to support their business objectives. Clients rely on Emer’s ability to apply her knowledge of science and the law to develop and defend their intellectual property throughout its life cycle. She collaborates with research and development teams to maximize the value of new product and line extension efforts and deftly navigate freedom to operate issues.
Emer is always prepared to vigorously advocate for her clients at trial should the need arise. She has extensive experience managing complex pharmaceutical patent disputes before the U.S. District Court and on appeal to the Federal Circuit, including management of parallel inter partes review (IPR) proceedings.
Originally from Ireland, Emer is a qualified barrister. Prior to joining the firm, Emer was a partner at Green, Griffith & Borg-Breen LLP. She is highly lauded for her legal acumen. In 2020, she was chosen as one of the top “40 Under 40 Illinois Attorneys to Watch” by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, honored as one of “Chicago’s Notable Women Lawyers” by Crain’s Custom Media and named an “IP Star” by Managing IP.
- Selected as one of the top “40 Under 40 Illinois Attorneys to Watch” by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin in 2020
- Honored in “Chicago’s Notable Women Lawyers” by Crain’s Custom Media, 2020
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management’s (IAM) Patent 1000 in Litigation, 2020
- Named as an “IP Star,” Managing IP, 2020
- Named in the Illinois Rising Stars list, as published in Illinois Super Lawyers, 2012‐2021
- Selected by peers as a Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law and Patent Law–Leading Lawyers Network, 2016–2021
- State of Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- The Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law, Secretary (2021); Board Member (2020-present)
- Chicago Women in IP