University of Illinois College of Law (J.D., 2001), cum laude
Northern Illinois University (1998), magna cum laude
Darrin counsels clients involved in all varieties of commercial real estate transactions including acquisitions, dispositions, leasing (representing landlords and tenants), financing and large-scale development projects. Darrin has secured a well-earned reputation for representing public and private real estate development companies, real estate investment trusts, equity funds, entrepreneurs and high net worth individuals in connection with complex transactions throughout the United States. He regularly handles matters involving office buildings, shopping centers, multifamily apartment complexes, television studios, manufacturing and warehousing facilities, large-scale mixed-use projects, and self-storage properties. Darrin also has significant experience managing large-scale multistate portfolio transactions.
Darrin’s community interests include pro bono representation of the Chicago Low-Income Housing Trust Fund, which provides rental subsidies and financing to landlords and developers to provide affordable housing for low-income families in Chicago. He has assisted the Trust Fund through transactions with multiple lenders and governmental agencies and several levels of financing, including state and federal tax credits.
- Representation of a publicly traded apartment real estate investment trust in all aspects of acquisitions, dispositions and development of multi-family residential apartment communities.
Recent matters for this client include:
- $5.365 Billion sale of a 72 property multi-family portfolio.
- $1.5 Billion sale of a 27 property multi-family portfolio.
- Acquisition of a fractured condominium project in Virginia, involving developer liability and construction defect issues, condominium related issues and the coordination of several concurrent closings with multiple unit sellers.
- Acquisition of raw land and construction of an urban high-rise condominium, apartment and retail project including negotiation and drafting of purchase, joint venture and development agreements.
- Several multi-property portfolio acquisitions and dispositions of residential communities in Florida, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Maine and Massachusetts.
- Representation of a publicly traded office property real estate investment trust including a recent $1.5 Billion, 47 property sale and a 4 property, $400 million sale.
- Representation of a publicly traded media company in connection with the repositioning of its national real estate portfolio, including broadcasting studios, distribution centers and warehouse facilities.
- Represented purchaser of distressed multi-family apartment complexes in Chicago and Washington, including the negotiation of joint venture agreements, financing documents and purchase agreements.
- Represented lender in connection with multi-party, deed-in-lieu transaction involving an unfinished residential condominium and townhome development project and vacant land in Chicago.
- Represented lender in connection with the bulk sale of completed and partially finished residential condominium and townhouse units in Chicago.
- Represented the seller of a 4 property portfolio of self-storage facilities in North Carolina and the sale of a self storage facility in Toronto.
- Represented the seller of membership interests of joint venture involved in the ownership and operation of self storage facilities, including drafting relevant agreements and conveyance documents.
- Represented equity investor in connection with the formation of a joint venture and purchase of a multi-family apartment community in Florida, including drafting and negotiation of the joint venture and contribution agreements.
- Represented a group of investors in connection with the acquisition and financing of office property involving forward and reverse tax-free exchanges, tenants-in-common agreements, mezzanine financing and tenant bankruptcy and construction issues.
- Represented a shopping center operator in connection with several acquisitions of regional shopping malls and lifestyle centers in various regions of the country.
- Represented a developer in all aspects of an 800 unit residential development containing a mix of condominiums, townhomes and single family residences, including raw land acquisition, subdivisions and tax parcel divisions, construction financing and related construction issues and sales of units to end users.
- Restructuring of multi-property ownership including dissolution and sale of entities, transfers of membership interests, tax-free exchanges and ultimate conveyance of real property to a third party.