Olivia Luk Bedi is an intellectual property litigator who represents individuals and corporations across the country in complex technological matters. Her practice includes defending and enforcing intellectual property rights, including patents, trade secrets, copyrights and trademarks, in areas such as biochemistry, computer engineering, electrical engineering, metallurgy, nanotechnology, software design, and mechanical engineering.
An experienced trial lawyer, Olivia has litigated more than a dozen significant cases before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and other federal courts around the country, and has also briefed and argued patent appeals before the Federal Circuit.
Before practicing law, Olivia spent five years as a patent examiner for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, gaining extensive experience regarding the use of procedures available before the USPTO. She also has experience before the International Trade Commission.
Olivia devotes a substantial amount of her time to pro bono service. Her dedication began when she represented a Chicago high school student charged with first-degree felony murder in People v. Shannon, which received national attention after a videotape of the incident went viral. Olivia remains dedicated to her pro bono clients and continues to fight for their cause through petitions and appeals.
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company, "40 Under Forty," 2014
- Managing Intellectual Property Magazine, “Top 250 Women IP Attorneys,” 2014
- YWCA, “New Look of Leadership Award,” 2014
- American Inns of Court, “Sandra Day O'Connor Award for Professional Service,” 2011
- American Inns of Court, “Linn Inn Alliance Distinguished Service Medal,” 2011
- Richard Linn American Inn of Court, co-founder, executive director and former president
- Ladies in IP Society, co-founder
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Economic Club of Chicago, Membership Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, PTO Committee Chair, Law Students and Law Clerks Chair, Membership Chair
- American Writers Museum, Chicago Founders Council
- Chicago Inventors Organization, board of directors
- Heshima Kenya, Fashion Challenge Planning Committee
- PEAK Chicago, mentor
- StreetLaw, IP Law instructor at Whitney Young High School